Tesco will award six grants per year in each of the 428 Tesco regions to make sure the funding is spread evenly across England, Wales and Scotland. In total the community grant scheme will support around 2,500 projects each year.
Because Tesco is expecting there to be a major demand for grants, Groundwork will assess all of the applications received and then provide a shortlist of the applications received for a Tesco regional panel to agree three successful projects to forward to a vote in Tesco stores.
Tesco customers will vote over two weekends in their store for their favourite shortlisted LOCAL project. Grants will then be awarded as follows:
- 1st place in Tesco customer vote: £12,000 grant
- 2nd place in Tesco customer vote: £10,000 grant
- 3rd place in Tesco customer vote: £8,000 grant
What the grants can fund
The grants programme will be open to organisations such as: voluntary/community organisations, registered charities, health bodies, Parish/Town councils, social enterprises, Community Interest Companies, schools, hospices, community councils, local authorities and housing organisations. Other not-for-profit organisations might also be eligible.
Projects that would typically receive funding include:
- Parks, pocket parks and urban green spaces
- Green corridors – river and canals, cycle ways
- Formal and informal play areas
- Open access sports facilities within public parks and recreation grounds – eg football pitches, tennis courts and cricket pitches
- Informal outdoor recreation facilities; eg gym equipment, trim trails and woodland walks
- Nature reserves, community woodland, ponds and village greens
- Seafront improvements
- Community allotments, community gardens, orchards and city farms
- Spaces in the grounds of hospices and day centres
- School grounds
- Community spaces on housing estates or residential areas
Applying for a grant
To apply for a grant please start by taking the eligibility quiz on the Groundwork/Tesco website.
Full details here…