Some evidence remains of the early open field system of agriculture
in the ridge and furrows still to be found in parts of Helmdon. This
strip system changed with the enclosure of the open fields by an Act
of Parliament in 1758.
Prior to this change in land ownership farmhouses were all in the
centre of the village and would have a close of their own land adjoining.
These paddocks and an area of land called Stockings were listed as
old enclosures in 1758.
At enclosure blocks of land were allotted to one owner and hedges
put in to define legal ownership.