| home | search | back |
helmdon.com®
 
home > trail > the school
 

 

Helmdon Trail - The School

 

The School buildings on Station Road

 

Helmdon's original school was sited on the piece of land at the Sulgrave, Weston and Wappenham crossroads where the War Memorial now stands, but Helmdon County Primary School on its present site had its beginnings in 1853 with the conveyance of land from Worcester College, Oxford, to the Rev Charles Milman, Rector of the parish of Helmdon and James Fairbrother and James Pool, farmers, of a piece of waste land called Bull's Townsend. On this was built a schoolroom and a house for the head teacher. Twenty years later there were extensions to the original school building.

At first the school was administered by The National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the principles of the Established Church throughout England and Wales, but following the Forster Education Act of 1870 its management was transferred to a local Board. 1902 saw the building of an infant school standing detached from the original block on land given by John Atkins of Grange Farm, and this was followed in 1930 by its updating and the addition of a classroom adjoining it. Then in 1975 a major remodelling and extension of the school to its present size and configuration took place.

For more on the Primary School visit the main School Section.

[An article about the school by former Headmaster, Mr. Geoff Ipgrave, appeared in Aspects Of Helmdon No. 3 which contains extensive extracts of the school logs. This booklet is now out of print but can be borrowed from WEA secretary Richard Farquharson e-mail, Brackley Library or the Northamptonshire County Record Office.

Also, a Roll Of Honour of Old Boys serving in the Great War appeared in Aspects Of Helmdon No. 4]

 
home > trail > the school
| home | search | back | top
helmdon.com®